CAN ART BRING SOCIAL CHANGE?

Thursday, November 19, 2009

Keeping an Eye on the Mountain... Returning to Mt Cook NZ and Supporting Children and Art

Mt Cook National Park has always been one of my favorite places on the planet and here I am looking at that awe-inspiring sight once again.  New Zealand has certainly changed in the last 30 years, the Aoraki Mt Cook Village has grown significantly but one thing that hasn’t changed a bit is Mt Cook itself.

I’m watching the mountain magically emerge from behind a thick blanket of cloud as I send this post while perched at a window table in the Old Mountaineer’s Café and Restaurant, a cozy mountain retreat in the heart of Aoraki Village. It’s owned and managed by my friends Charlie and Mary Hobbs and family. Charlie is a well known Kiwi adventure and mountaineer and his wife and co-adventurer is Mary, a writer and publisher.  You will see us in the photo below with Mt Cook in the back ground.


I celebrated my return to Mt Cook by giving back to this wonderful community in support of children and art. Today I gave an impromptu watercolor lesson to the pupils of the Aoraki Mt Cook School.


But this time I won’t be away from my mountain home for so long. I’ll be returning in January where I will hold an exhibition at the Old Mountaineer’s Café and Restaurant and I’ll also give an art workshop. On a broader scale, I’m completing my latest New Zealand series of paintings while at the same time fulfilling a steady stream of commissioned work, especially house portraits, still one of my favorites.

Leisa 


Information on Leisa Collins Art:
Leisa Collins Art is the artistic endeavor of New Zealand born visual artist Leisa Collins. The company motto is Art with a Message and the primary focus is on using art for social change by promoting art in action, especially working with women artists on projects concerning children and art education. Leisa specializes in commissioned art works of all kinds and especially loves doing house portraits.  For more information contact Leisa by phone, e-mail or website.


Contact Information:

Information on commissioned art: www.leisacollins.com/leisacollins_commissions.html
Information on house portraits: www.leisacollins.com/house_portrait.html


No comments:

Post a Comment