CAN ART BRING SOCIAL CHANGE?

Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Art with a Message USA Tour - Two Thousand Miles to Go!

The final Michigan to New York leg of the US Tour I did solo while Bruce stayed in Michigan to help his family with a home renovations project prior to us leaving for New Zealand. The main change I noted being on the road again was the beautiful fall colors now imbuing the landscape as far as the eye could see.



Heading south from Lansing, I crossed into Indiana and stopped into see my friend Mahiah and deliver a commissioned work I created for her of the rugged coastland of Ireland. I also checked out Indiana’s largest paintball field, White River Paintball Field. Mariah’s boyfriend Ben started the venture 10 years ago and its now is a growing enterprise, sprawled out on 125 acres of picturesque Indiana woodlands. I was given the grand tour and it certainly opened my eyes to what paintball is actually about.
 




Next it was time to head westward and visit Ohio where I encountered softly undulating farmland and well cared for fields of corn and other crops. This view here is very typical.
 


By mid-afternoon I was through Ohio and into Pennsylvania. Autumn-toned trees now occupied the landmasses dotted with patches of green pines and rocky outcrops. I took the turnpike west and wound around the Appalachian Mountains heading for the North Eastern corner of Pennsylvania, Allentown. My attraction to the city was the fact that my sister and brother-in-law live there with their delightful 5 and 6-year-old daughters, Ashleigh and Samantha, whom I had never met. Besides getting to know them, I squeezed in a painting of their human-like dog Einstein for Samantha’s birthday.






Needless to say, Allentown was a fun experience. I also joined them and a group of enthusiastic youngsters for a very American occasion, a “pumpkin patch” event on Byler’s Farm where you select your own pumpkin for Halloween.






But it was time to move onto New York, the final destination for the tour...

Leisa

No comments:

Post a Comment