CAN ART BRING SOCIAL CHANGE?

Sunday, August 9, 2009

My entrance into the blogasphere

 
As I stand here re-inventing myself as an artist I decided to enter the blogasphere in the same way I first entered the world of art over two decades ago. It tends to be the way I do most things in life... take a deep breath and jump in!
   
Come to think of it, it’s the way I tackled scuba diving years ago. I put on the wetsuit, air-tank and weights and jumped over the side of the boat. True, I nearly drowned because the ill-fitting face mask filled up with water and the weight-belt dropped me like a 10 ton anchor, but guess what, I sure learned to scuba dive in a hurry! 
  
Today is a triple-release day on which I am debuting three things at once: my new website - www.leisacollins.com, my new weekly newsletter - Art in the Making, and my new blog (my personal diary) - Leisa Collins, Art with a Message Blog
 
It didn’t start out as a triple-release. I simply intended to put a handful of paintings together, throw them up on a website and see if anyone liked them. However, I decided that my on-line gallery needed some substance for viewers to see what I do. The simple one-liner on my home page - "Commission me to do a special original painting for you” - became its own Commissions page with details and examples of what I do and how I go about doing it. My Art in Action page demonstrates the extension of my art beyond a studio and gallery walls.
  
As my site neared completion, it struck me that I really wanted to interact with other artists and people who love original art and believe it can bring change, hence I constructed this blog. 
  
Likewise, I created my Art in the Making newsletter for those who don’t think they could stand hearing from me more than once a week. My first newsletter explains how it all began.
  
So what is the point of all this? As stated in my website, “Art can thrust out a communication, a message. It can tell stories that put a human face on incidents. Art can raise awareness of important social issues and inspire action. It can sooth a troubled spirit, awaken ones desires and bring disparate peoples together.” These words are not just idealistic fantasizing, I wrote them from personal observation.
  
In short, this is my “jumping in” point. There is lot’s more to say and plenty of upcoming adventures, like my Across the USA, from the Eyes of an Artist live tour which is covered in the Art in Action page on my site. Then in late October I’ll be back in my homeland of New Zealand, re-tracing my journey through mountain and lake wildernesses, where I first taught myself to paint.
Well, time to end off for today. Check out my website, take a leisurely browse through my gallery, support a living artist and buy an original. Or contact me about creating a special commissioned art piece for you. But most importantly, look at my Art in Action page and let's work together to make a change in the world. 
  
I’d love to hear from you. Contact me by e-mail at leisa@leisacollins.com.

2 comments:

  1. I will be following your USA trip .... it sounds exciting. Keep us posted!

    ReplyDelete